1. Every 2 hours and 11 minutes someone under the age of 25 completes suicide.
2. 24% of high school students have seriously thought about attempting suicide.
3. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for 15 -24 year olds and the sixth leading cause of death for 5 – 15 year olds.
4. More teens and young adults died as a result of suicide in 1999 than cancer, heart disease, HIV/AIDS, birth defects, stroke and chronic lung disease combined.
5. For every older teen and young adult who takes his or her own life, 100-200 of their peers attempt suicide.
6. 15.8% of high school students reported that they seriously considered attempting suicide, 12.8% reported creating a plan, and 7.8% had attempted suicide 1 or more times.
7. Suicide among males is 4 times higher than females. However, females are more likely than males to have suicidal thoughts.
SOURCE – TheAntiBullyMom.com.